Name of Institution         Liverpool

Brief History

Dedication                                                        St Anne, Richmond

Earliest Known Parish Register             1773

Location                                                           Lancashire

Original location: - corner of Great Richmond Street & Cazneau Street Liverpool 3 Now Taken over by the B5713 St Anne Street. OS Grid Reference SJ 351914

St. Anne's Richmond was opened for divine service on 25th October 1772. The building had been started earlier and was completed under the terms of 'An Act for completing a building intended for a new Church or Chapel at Richmond near Everton... 1772’.

By the middle of the 19th century the church had fallen into neglect and disuse. The churchyard was closed for burials in the 1850’s while the Liverpool Construction Act was passed on 26 May 1865. Under the terms of this act, St. Anne's Street was to be extended into Cazneau Street. To facilitate this, the Act provided for the demolition of St. Anne's Church but its terms prevented the Corporation from pulling down St. Anne's before erecting a new church. The Corporation duly built the new church of St. Anne's at the corner of St. Anne Street and Great Richmond Street and the consecration of the building took place on 16th November 1871.

In 1937, the parish of St. Stephen (Byrom Street) was merged with the parish of St. Anne with the latter becoming the parish church of the united parish. The living of St. Anne's fell vacant in 1956. The question of the closure of the church was under discussion for some time and in 1970 the parish of St. Anne, Richmond with St. Stephen was united with the parish of Liverpool (Our Lady and St. Nicholas) the Parish Church (St. Nicholas) becoming the parish church of the united parish. St. Anne's Church was demolished in 1967.

Source: - Lancashire OPC Site

Records

Record Type

Events

Coverage

Record Ref

LDS Reference

Parish Registers

CMB
C
M

1773-1812
1813-1968
1777-1797 

283 ANN 2197 and 2405

1656149 Items 2-11

 

M

1797-1822 

 

1656150

 

M

1822-1856 

 

1656151

 

M

B

Bns

1856-1965

1813-1858
1844-1853
1886-1967

 

1656152

 

Memoranda of baptisms & burials

1800-1813

 

1656152

 

Memoranda of marriages

1798-1800

 

1656152

 

Confirmations

1887-1947 

 

1656152

Bishop’s Transcripts

CMB

1773-1826

 

1068894 Items 2 - 7

 

CMB
C

1827-1842
1849-1856

 

1068946 Item 1

Monumental Inscriptions

 

 

 

 

Transcriptions/Indexes

 

 

 

 

Ø      LDS Extraction Program

 

 

 

 

Ø      Lancashire OPC

C

1813-1841

 

 

Parish Register.

Baptisms

Marriages

Description

Page Blank The Year 1791

No 1813

Thomas Ismay of the Parish of Liverpool Butter Merchant and Mary Birchill of the same parish, Widow, were married in this chapel by License this third day of February in the Year One Thousands Seven hundred and ninety one. By me Joseph Smyth B.D. Minst

This marriage was solemnized between us Thomas Ismay, Mary Birchill

In the Presence of Us Peter Seller, Thomas Wiright

Burials

Bishop’s Transcripts

Transcripts/Indexes

Day:

3

Month:

Feb

Year:

1791

Groom Forenames:

Thomas

Groom Surname:

Ismay

Groom's Parish:

Liverpool

Groom's Occupation:

Butter Merchant

Bride Forenames:

Mary

Bride Surname:

Birchill

Bride's Parish:

Liverpool

Bride's Condition:

Widow

By Licence:

Licence

Place:

Liverpool

Description:

St Anne Richmond

County:

Lancashire

Country:

England